The mention of steroids most commonly reminds us of athletes using them but what is the cause of such an association between the two? One of the main reason athletes in particular use steroids is that they can perform better; run faster or swim better, lift more weight and rather improve their performance to a great extent.
However, steroids and games do not mix well in long term this is the truth learned the hard way rather. It was the Russians who need to be blamed first as during the 50s they have given steroid called testosterone the male hormone to the country’s sports contingent to perform well and bag the medals. No wonder Russian athletes performed better than their usual and the Russian flag flew higher, alas at the compromise of the health of the athletes that kept the nations pride high.
The athletes started abusing the steroids over years and have neglected the side effects that they caused even if they have noticed that ruined their personal and professional lives.
The most common of steroids used by athletes is the androgenic anabolic steroids, otherwise popular as AAS which are the synthetic form of the male hormone, testosterone. There are both short-term “positive” effects and definitely adverse side effects that surface later with the use of steroids. Let us see the short-term gains and the long-term adverse steroids effects on the athletes.
- The foremost important function of steroid is it exerts strong effect on the body that could be highly beneficial for the athletes during their performance.
- There is scientific literature that shows the use of steroids increases strength and body mass. This is the only highlighted effect in most of the studies else the negative effect of steroid on the body seems to be prominent.
- Studies have revealed that athletes reported of increase in sexual drive, acne vulgaris, aggressive behaviour and body hair.
- Furthermore, studies also reveal that the use of steroids could lead to liver damage. In few of the studies carried out on the athletes psyche and behaviour were also strongly affected.
- Some of the findings show that consumption of steroids might also alter the functioning of various glands such as the prostate in men and also cause hormonal imbalance in both men and women. Furthermore, in serious cases it was seen that the steroids affected the cardiovascular system too.
It is important for individuals especially athletes to be aware of the drastic side effects caused by the consumption of steroids rather than getting carried away by shot-term benefits and prudently decide if taking the steroids that give testosterone-like effects is worth the risk, after all jumping on the competition with the help of steroids is more than being unfair.